Friday 16 November 2012

The tables are turned

Having taught University classes for the last seven years, tomorrow I will be a student again. It's eight whole years since the last time but is something I seem to come back to time and again. I enjoy learning. I would hate to think, ever, that my studies were over.

I'm going to do an Undergraduate Advanced Diploma in English Literature at the Institute of Continuing Education in Cambridge. It's a subject I love and have always wanted to study at a higher level. It's also the best way I could think of to prepare for the critical side of a Creative Writing PhD, which is on my agenda for the future, sometime.

I think it will be good for me to be on the other side of the table. Not just from the point of view of my own learning and personal development, but also for my job as a lecturer and course leader. What better way to understand the experience of the Undergraduates on my BA Programme than to become one again myself at another institution? My BA course grew out of continuing education at Nottingham University, too, so there's a shared history.

I'm excited about everything except getting up in time to catch the 7:45am train!

No comments:

Post a Comment